Father's Day is on Sunday, and families everywhere are focusing on how to celebrate Dad on his special day. If you're struggling to come up with a Father's Day gift or activity, allow me -- as a father of two -- to suggest visiting Hendricks County.
I have five ideas on how to celebrate Father's Day in Hendricks County, and within each idea, I'll mention a few of my favorite options. I'll even hyperlink each option to where you can find more information about it. Sound good?
Let's do this.
Buy Dad a gift
Buying a gift for the father figure in the family is a tradition for many, but no one wants to get Dad the stereotypical tie, right? So for some unique gifts that are sure to make him smile, try these Hendricks County shops:
- Enchanted Journey, 8022 Main St., Coatesville - click here to learn more about Enchanted Journey, including a photo of some really cool pens they sell there.
- Finer Things, 1032 E. Main St., Brownsburg - local artwork, unique gifts, gourmet foods, furnishings, and even made-to-order gifts are available at Finer Things.
- Outta the Shed, 71 S. Washington St., Danville - unique home decor and other gifts that are original and affordable can be found at Outta the Shed.
Make Dad a gift
I'm one of those fathers who really enjoys and appreciates gifts that are made by my children.
Handmade gifts from the kiddos provide them with a fun activity and result in a heartfelt and sentimental gift for me. Here are some suggestions for where to take the kids to make Dad something neat for Father's Day:
- Gallery on the Square, 51 S. Washington St., Danville
- Melissa Cain Art Studio, 68 S. Jefferson St., Danville
- uPaint Pottery Studio, 1820 E. Main St., Plainfield
Take Dad out to eat
I always enjoy going out to eat with my family, and there are a whole bunch of great restaurants in Hendricks County. These are a few of my favorite places:
- The Coachman Restaurant and Lounge, 6112 Cambridge Way, Plainfield - The perfect place for the meat-and-potatoes kind of dad. Plus, the Coachman has indoor and outdoor seating, as well as frequent live entertainment.
- Los Patios Mexican Restaurant, 50 Old Farm Road, Danville - It's love at first bite at Los Patios if Dad enjoys Mexican cuisine. Click here to learn more.
- Perillo's Pizzeria, 5 S. Broadway Street, North Salem - Authentic Italian food made fresh to order by an authentic Italian chef -- and so much more than just pizza! Click here to read 10 reasons why Dad will love Perillo's.
Take Dad out for a drink
Maybe Dad would just like to go out and relax with a tasty adult beverage or two. Take him out to one of these local favorites:
- Black Swan Brewpub, 2067 E. Hadley Road, Plainfield. Click here to learn more.
- Chateau Thomas Winery, 6291 Cambridge Way, Plainfield. Click here to learn more.
- Three Pints Brewpub, 5020 Cambridge Way, Plainfield. Click here to learn more.
Spend time with Dad
This is my favorite Father's Day gift of all: spending time with my kids. Since I haven't been able to find anyone who will hire my elementary school daughters for 40 hours a week, they have an exceedingly limited budget for Father's Day. So just spending time with them for little or no money at all is a great gift.
There are a ton of things to do in Hendricks County, but here are a few of my personal favorites:
- Just 4 Fun Family Recreation Center, 3650 Clarks Creek Road, Plainfield. Go-karts, batting cages, mini golf, a game room...Dad will have fun here. So will everyone else in the family.
- McCloud Nature Park outside of North Salem and Sodalis Nature Park outside of Plainfield. Located in opposite corners of Hendricks County, these two huge nature parks provide all sorts of fun outdoor activity to enjoy with Dad, and admission to both parks is free.
- Splash Island Family Water Park, 651 Vestal Road, Plainfield. Stretching out over four acres, this water park is loaded with cool, refreshing fun for the whole family without destroying the family wallet.
Celebrate Father's Day in Hendricks County, and make his special day one to remember!