- Feel the need for speed — No Memorial Day things to do list would be complete in Central Indiana without a mention of motor sports. Most people are familiar with the Indianapolis 500 held May 27 in nearby Speedway, Ind. However, were you aware we have a great primer in Hendricks County for race fans on May 26? The Night Before the 500 USAC Midget Series Race is held at Lucas Oil Raceway, 10267 E. U.S. 136 in Brownsburg, Ind. Gates open at 2 p.m. Past winners of the event include Jeff Gordon, Tony Stewart, Ryan Newman and Kevin Swindell.
- Take a picnic, enjoy nature & see stars — No Memorial Day weekend would be complete without a cookout or picnic, and Hendricks County is teeming with great parks and nature preserves to enjoy such an occasion with family and friends. Both county parks, Sodalis Nature Park in Plainfield, Ind., and McCloud Nature Park in North Salem, Ind., have plenty to see and do. Both will even have an Amphibian Day program (from 11 a.m. to noon at Sodalis and 2 to 3 p.m. at McCloud) on May 26. If you stay for the day or come back later that night, the Indiana Astronomy Society will host a free sky seminar and night viewing party beginning at 8:30 p.m. at McCloud. For more information, visit this website.
- Take a dip — Hendricks County has two notable water parks — Splash Island, 651 Vestal Road in Plainfield and Gill Family Aquatic Center, 49 N. Wayne St. in Danville, Ind., in the back of Ellis Park. Both open Memorial Day weekend and feature water slides, lazy rivers, water playgrounds and more providing endless family fun. Splash Island also has a new 900-foot Leisure River addition this year.
- Join or simply enjoy a British invasion — A different kind of car show featuring vintage or exotic British cars will take over the Hendricks County Courthouse Square from 5 to 9 p.m. May 26 in Downtown Danville. This European-themed cruise-in is a special addition to the monthly First Friday Cruise-ins that take over the Square.
- Wind down with some wine — The Indy Wine Trail, which includes Chateau Thomas Winery in Plainfield, is concluding a month-long celebration. Visits include wine tasting, a glass of wine, a 20% discount on gift items and a new Indy Wine Trail 6-bottle tote at the last winery. Tickets are required. For tickets or more details about the trail, click here.
Five Hendricks County Memorial Day Must-Dos
Posted on May 13, 2012 at 11:00 PM
The unofficial start of summer each year — Memorial Day Weekend — is rapidly approaching, and you may be wondering how best to celebrate that occasion. Besides taking a moment to remember those who have served or are currently serving in whatever way you feel appropriate, we have five fun things to do right here in Hendricks County. In addition to our suggestions, we also have plenty of good restaurants and comfortable places for out-of-town guests to stay. As always, for a complete list of Hendricks County activities and other information throughout the year, visit our website. Our Memorial Day Weekend suggestions, in no particular order, include: