If you love to run or walk, you have come to the right place as Hendricks County is teeming with events in July that will help you maintain that active lifestyle, help some worthy causes, meet great people and see parts of the area you potentially haven't seen before.
You can even kick off your Independence Day celebration with a run/walk event as both Avon and Danville will host morning events on July 4. Participating in these family-friendly events is a fun and healthy way to start your summer holiday festivities. Here is the "run" down of pertinent information.
July 4 Events
Danville will host the 10th Annual Blanton Woods 5K and 1 Mile Kid's Fun Run. The starting line for both events is located at the Danville Athletic Club, 49 N. Wayne St. The 5K begins at 9 a.m., and the course runs through scenic Blanton Woods with a mix of asphalt, grass, dirt, and sand paths. The 1-mile kid's run begins at 8:30 a.m. and consists of 2 loops through Ellis Park. It's free for the kids, and parents can participate with them. Register here.
Unable to attend these events? Not to worry, I have plenty more.
Summer Fun Run Series
Join runners and walkers in either a 5K or 1 mile run/walk every Wednesday through August. Each week a different Hendricks County park is featured. The great thing about this series is it's a casual, family-friendly event where you can meet other people who share your passion. You can arrive anytime between 6 and 7 p.m. It's free and no registration is required. Dates and locations for July include:
- July 6 - Hendricks Regional Health YMCA, 301 Satori Parkway, Avon
- July 13 - McCloud Nature Park, 8518 Hughes Road, North Salem
- July 20 - Avon Town Hall Park, 6570 E. U.S. 36, Avon
- July 27 - Williams Park, 940 S. Locust Lane, Brownsburg
Peggy's 5K Fun Run and 1 Mile Walk
- When: Saturday, July 9
- Where: Richard A. Carlucci Recreation and Aquatic Center, 651 Vestal Road, Plainfield
- Start times: 6:25 p.m. for the 5K untimed fun run and 6:30 p.m. for the 1 mile walk
- This event is in memory of Peggy Best and supports Melanoma research. Register here.
Hendricks Regional Health YMCA Tri 4 Kids
- When: Sunday, July 10
- Where: HRH YMCA, 301 Satori Parkway, Avon
- Start times: 8 a.m. for both groups - Ages 6-9 (shorter distances) and ages 10-16.
- Encourage your child to sign up and help generate a successful junior triathlon. All proceeds benefit the YMCA annual campaign. Click here to register,
Hendricks County 4-H Fair 5K
- When: Saturday, July 16
- Where: Hendricks County 4-H Fairgrounds and Conference Complex, 1900 E. Main St., Danville
- Start time: 8 a.m.
- Register here.
Race to Recovery 5K and Children's Fun Run
- When: Saturday, July 16
- Where: Brownsburg East Middle School, 1250 East Airport Road, Brownsburg
- Start time: 8:30 a.m. for the 5K and 9:15 a.m. for 800 meter children's (9 and under) fun run
- Proceeds benefit the Bret Neylon Paralysis Foundation. Register here.
- When: Friday, July 29
- Where: Avon High School, 7575 E. County Road 150 South, Avon
- Start times: 7:15 p.m. for the kids 100 yard race (4th grade and under), 8 p.m. for Competitive 4K timed and 8:30 p.m. for the Non-Competitive 4K (not timed)
- This event supports Ben Harmon, a 2016 graduate of Avon High School and distance runner, who was recently diagnosed with a rare bone cancer. Click here to register.
As you can see, plenty of fun, family-oriented running/walking options are offered this July! Have a wonderful Independence Day!