- Rock and Rollers: Want to head back to your rink days? Load up the kids and some of their friends to strap on some skates at this great roller rink. Rock and Rollers is a family-owned roller rink located right off U.S. 36 at 241 Casco Drive in Avon. This roller skating rink has all the great features you would expect: lights, an arcade, snack bar, etc. They even offer a full screen to play music videos. Best of all for parents, they have special hours all holiday break -- open 1-4 p.m. daily in addition to normal business hours. Pricing depends on the day! Click here for more information.
- JR Funnigans Jump-N-Play: Looking for something to really burn that energy for kids of all ages? Than JR Funnigans Jump-N-Play in Avon is a great choice! Jump-N-Play has several different inflatable activities for kids, including bounce houses, inflatable slides, obstacle courses and more. With a great snack bar and free wi-fi you might be able to get a bit of work done while the kids play. Jump-N-Play is reasonably priced with entry for children over 2 costing $7 and under 2 being $5. (Keep your eyes out on Groupon. They also have Jump-N-Play deals). Open 11 a.m.-8 p.m. Mondays-Saturdays and 11 a.m.-6 p.m Sundays, Jump-N-Play is located at 8407 E. U.S. 36 behind Randelli’s Pizza.
- Plainfield Recreation & Aquatic Center: When I was a kid, there truly was not much better than an indoor pool. Many know of Plainfield's great Splash Island during the summer months but the adjoining indoor version is also a great destination in the winter months. Plainfield Recreation Center's indoor water park boasts three lap lanes, indoor water slide, zero-depth entry, interactive children's play area, winding river, pulsating vortex and even a great space for birthday party rental. Visit their website for more information on hours of operation and pricing.
- The Flip Zone: Is your little one looking to be the next Olympian? I have an inexpensive way to find out by attending an open gym at the Flip Zone, 880 Andico Road in Plainfield. Open to members and non-members alike, this open-gym time gives kids the opportunity to try their hand at basic gymnastic skills such as walking the balance beam, swinging on the bars or simply having a blast in the foam pit. The Flip Zone offers two open gyms for ages 6 & up from 1-2 p.m. on Saturdays. Admission for members is $10. Admission for non-members is $13. Preschool open gym for 6 & under is 10 a.m.-11 a.m. Thursdays. Cost is $6 for registered members and $8 for non-members. Parents must attend.
- Monster Mini Golf: Looking for something fun and interactive the whole family can enjoy? Why not head over to Monster Mini Golf, 7591 E. U.S. 36 in Avon. This 18-hole, miniature golf course will keep you on your kids on their toes with the spooky monster decor. Currently, Monster Mini Golf is offering a weekday special of unlimited play, even up to 6 p.m. on Fridays! Go to their website for hours, admission and more details.
- Bonus Activity: A bit different from the previous five because visitors think of them as spots for locals, but I would urge anyone to check out the amazing libraries we have in Hendricks County! Last winter, I started taking my daughter to a local library class to get some socializing time with other children. She loved it, and I loved the chance to meet some other moms! All of our local libraries, in Avon, Brownsburg, Coatesville, Clayton, Danville and Plainfield, offer wonderful programming for children of all ages. You do usually have to register to attend a class but being a resident of that town is not required. I urge you to take advantage of these free opportunities!
5 Inexpensive Indoor Family Activities in Hendricks County
Posted on December 21, 2012 at 10:00 PM
The colder winter days are quickly coming and with those chilly days I am often left wondering what to do to keep my little 2-year-old busy. For those of you with school children it can become a full-time job keeping them entertained over their holiday school breaks. If you are like me, you probably enjoy some nice sweat-pants days at home but it's good to get out every once in a while, too! I have complied a short list of some fun, indoor family activities in Hendricks County to get the family out of the house this winter. Perk for parents: Some of these might even give you a chance to sit down and rest while the kids play!