- JR Funnigans Jump N Play: Head to WASHINGTON Township -- better known as Avon, Indiana -- and take the kids to JR Funnigans Jump N Play, located at 8407 E. U.S. 36. They're open from 11 a.m. to 8 p.m. Kids age 2 and under are just $5, while kids over 2 years old are $7 a piece. Adults are free, plus there's free wifi there! They have food and soft drinks, video games, bounce houses and basketball hoops that let the kids have fun and run off some energy. Jennifer Donovan visited Jump N Play recently, so be sure to read about her day there.
- Rock & Rollers: As long as you're in WASHINGTON Township, you might as well go right down the road to Rock & Rollers, located behind Terry Lee Honda at 241 Casco Drive in Avon, and do some roller skating! Normally they're only open on Mondays for private parties, but on Presidents' Day they have open skate from 1 to 4 p.m. Aimee MacArthur was just there last month, so check out her blog post to see how much she enjoyed skating.
- Sky Zone: From Avon, take a quick trip down RONALD REAGAN Parkway into Plainfield and check out Sky Zone, located at 851 S. Columbia Road, right off the Parkway. Inside Sky Zone, an endless sea of trampolines allow kids and adults to jump around, play dodgeball, jump in a foam pit, and literally bounce off the walls! On Presidents' Day, Sky Zone offers extended hours -- open from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. -- and they encourage people to purchase tickets online in advance to reserve a spot. I haven't made it there yet, but Ericka Bethel has, so take a moment to read about her experience at Sky Zone.
- Take a Hike! ...a hike through LINCOLN Township, that is, on the B&O Trail that runs through Brownsburg. You'll want to make sure you visit the RONALD REAGAN Tunnel on the trail to see all kinds of cool artwork on a variety of murals within the tunnel. (If you're in the Coatesville or Amo area, you may want to take a stroll, ride a bike, or ride a horse down the Vandalia Trail, but I can't think of any catchy presidential references at the moment.) Elaine Whitesides took a hike down the Hendricks County trails, so be sure to read about her experience.
- See "Lady and the Tramp": There's another spot in LINCOLN Township that may interest you, especially if you have kids in the range of 6 to 10 years old. The Brownsburg Public Library is showing the Disney classic "Lady and the Tramp" on Presidents' Day at 1 p.m. The 76-minute-long movie is rated G, and kids are encouraged to bring their own snacks. Adults must stay with kids ages 11 and under. No registration required.
5 Ways to Celebrate Presidents' Day in Hendricks County
Posted on February 17, 2013 at 10:00 PM
Today we celebrate the birthdays of George Washington and Abraham Lincoln by closing down the schools and government offices for Presidents' Day. (Wait, what? Who's idea was this?!) If you're like me, then, you're taking the day off work to spend with your kids, which brings up the universal question: "What are we going to do today?" Look no further than Hendricks County, where you can have fun and honor the presidential birthday boys at the same time.