- The Golden Egg – Sally Ann’s Ceramics in Pittsboro does an amazing job of coming up with unique activities every second Saturday in her shop, 226 N. Maple St. In April, she will have ceramic eggs fired and ready to paint just in time for Easter. Completion time is about 30 minutes and cost is $4 per egg.
- Fiber Art – Shirley Adams, who is a former PBS television host and current artist featured at Gallery on the Square in Danville, will demonstrate her fiber art from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the gallery, 51 S. Washington St.
- Start Your Garden Early – Frazee Gardens in Brownsburg rarely misses the opportunity to host an interactive activity on Second Saturdays, and April is no different. At 2 p.m., they will host a gardening workshop providing tips and techniques for early success such as several inexpensive ways to start seeds indoors, plus split seed packets for extra money savings. It is always a good idea to pre-register for activities at Frazee by calling (317) 858-8440.
- Jewelry Demo – Artist Lola Elkins will be demonstrating how she creates her very popular enameled jewelry at Finer Things in Brownsburg.
- Easter Primer – The Academy of Hoosier Heritage in Mooresville usually themes their Second Saturday activities around the closest holiday. So in April, they will host some interactive paper doll and Easter activities from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. that go along with their Easter postcards on display in the museum.
- Music & Wine – Chateau Thomas Winery in Plainfield hosts music from 2 to 4 p.m. every Saturday with Rose Perry providing the April entertainment.
Experience Culture Every Second Saturday
Sunday, March 30, 2014 11:16 PM by Josh Duke
One of the least talked about but amazing cultural opportunities you can experience occurs on a monthly basis when our Rural Routes to Main Street Cultural Trail expands into a cultural event on the second Saturday of every month. Candidly, though the trail is a year-round, self-guided, self-directed driving tour through both Hendricks and Morgan counties, some months provide a little more activity in terms of demonstrations, workshops and other events. The good news is spring and particularly second Saturdays in the spring deliver perhaps the best opportunity of the year through Second Saturdays on the Cultural Trail. Six specific locations have been designated Second Saturday sites for 2014. They include Academy of Hoosier Heritage, Ateliers, Hendricks County Historical Museum, Hot Blown Glass, Monrovia Mudworks and Sally Ann’s Ceramics. But don’t get too caught up just visiting these sites as many of our other Rural Routes to Main Street locations – there are 30 in all – celebrate every second Saturday with events and activities of their own. You can visit the Rural Routes to Main Street Events page for up-to-date happenings throughout the year. But here is just a brief list of some of the second Saturday activities planned for April 12 to whet your appetite: