- Decide on a wedding budget – It’s easy to get caught up in buying everything you have always dreamed of, but it’s important to figure out where to splurge and where to save so you don’t start your lives together with a lot of debt.
- Find what you need in one place – I was going to save this tip until the end, but it will help you shape many of your decisions as you go through my remaining tips. Visit Hendricks County publishes a Hendricks County Bridal Services Guide annually to help couples find everything they need. If you live in or are planning a wedding in Hendricks County, this is a must-have resource, and it's free!
- Pick what theme you want for your wedding – Do you want to have a fairytale princess wedding, a vintage wedding or a barn wedding? If you decide on a vintage or rustic wedding, Hendricks County has several locations that sell antiques and rustic items like Finer Things in Brownsburg, Red Horse Livery in Coatesville, Outta the Shed in Danville and Gilley’s Antique Mall in Plainfield.
- Determine how many people you want to invite – This becomes important in choosing the perfect venue for your perfect day. Hendricks County has venues of all types and sizes. We have formal locations like The Crown Room, indoor/outdoor locations like The Blanton House, outdoor-only locations like Avon Gardens or rustic locations like Avon Wedding Barn.
- Choose your bridal party – Think about the people who have been the most important in your lives and ask them to take part in your special day.
- Look online and in magazines for wedding dresses and color ideas – Once you have concepts in mind, Hendricks County has plenty of options to find that perfect dress and other accessories. The Bridal Guide can help you find places like Bare Necessities Bridal for your gown and Metropolis Mall for shoes, jewelry and wedding party and honeymoon attire.
- Find a photographer you ‘click’ with – Interview photographers to make sure your personalities match and ask them what packages they offer for weddings. Let them know about specific pictures you know you want taken to commemorate your big day and make sure they are willing to take them. We have a list of several photographers for you to choose from in our Bridal Guide.
- Look for a florist with your vision – Flowers can add a lot to a wedding. Make sure the florist you choose can accomplish the look you want at the price you need. Florists like Rue de Fleurs have a lot of experience with weddings and can give you suggestions if you aren’t sure what you want. Or contact Clay Petals for flowers made of clay that look real and last.
- Choose what type of music, food and cake you want – The Hendricks County Bridal Services Guide has a listing of several types of music like harpists and bagpipers as well as bands and DJs. And let me be the first to tell you that your guests will remember if they enjoy the food at your wedding. Make appointments with some of the businesses listed in the guide to sample their food and see pictures. They book well in advance, so don’t wait until the last minute.
- Don’t forget to register for gifts – This is your chance to get all of the basics to start your new home together. For a different idea and to support local retailers, try going to Gallery on the Square in Danville. They can fulfill many of your wish list items including glassware, cutting boards, mugs and décor, and they’re made by local artists.
First 10 Things to Do After You Say 'I Do'
Wednesday, January 1, 2014 10:32 PM by Kara Harlan
So it finally happened. The man of your dreams asked you to marry him. Your mind is spinning, and you don’t know where to start. Well, you may not know this, but Visit Hendricks County can help. I have come up with a checklist to get you and your future spouse on the right track and have noted in each one when and how we can help: