My husband and I have always loved seeing live music especially at outdoor venues. Great lyrical and musical performances combined with a warm summer night creates the perfect ambiance for a night out. We are planning on taking our daughters to some outdoor concerts this summer, in hopes they enjoy it as much as us.
Luckily, Hendricks County offers many options this summer for kid-friendly live music. As I was researching the venues and various bands, I realized family-friendly movies are also shown at several outdoor locations.
Almost all of these music/movie series are free! Entertaining the kiddos all summer can get expensive, so I'm so excited for free, fun activities!
Of course, the concerts would make a great date night as well!
Here is a list of outdoor concerts and movies this summer...
Summer Sounds on the Square
- Where: The Hendricks County Courthouse Square, Danville
- When: Saturdays June 15, July 20, Aug. 17 and Sept. 21
- Details: The 2019 lineup features The Impalas, Cornfield Mafia, Living Proof and Levi Riggs! Gates open at 6:30 p.m., and the shows begin at 7:30 p.m. Be sure to bring your lawn chairs and find a good spot to enjoy the sounds of the evening. A food court and adult beverage station is located inside the venue. No coolers are allowed. Cost is $7 for those 21 and over.
Friday and Saturday Wine Down
- Where: Chateau Thomas Winery, 6291 Cambridge Way, Plainfield
- When: Various Fridays (7-9 p.m.) and Saturdays (6-9 p.m.) throughout the summer
- Details: Spend your summer evening drinking wine, enjoying a relaxing atmosphere and listening to wonderful tunes! The Dukes, Olga the Violinist, and Sam Turley Jazz Trio are just a few of the acts performing this summer. Click here for specific dates and more performers.
Summer Concert Series at Arbuckle Acres Park
- Where: Arbuckle Acres Park, 200 N. Green St., Brownsburg
- When: June 8 at 5 p.m., June 20 at 7 p.m., July 18 at 7 p.m., and Aug. 3 at 5 p.m.
- Details: Performances by Soul Street, My Yellow Rickshaw, Endless Summer Band and The Indigos promises great tunes throughout this series. I would highly recommend Endless Summer Band, as I have seen them perform many times. Bounce houses and yard games provide extra entertainment for the kiddos. Food trucks will be onsite. New this year is a beer garden with drinks provided by Indy Beer Taps! Admission is free.
Hummel Park Summer Concert Series
- Where: Hummel Park, 1500 S. Center St., Plainfield
- When: Saturdays June 8, July 20, Aug. 24 and Sept. 21 from 7-9:15 p.m.
- Details: This concert series features a variety of popular Central Indiana bands including Tim Brickley & The List, Blair Carmen & The Bellview Boys, Big Rosco & The Hammers and Cook & Belle. The whole family will enjoy these free, fun-filled performances. Be sure to bring blankets and picnics. Food can be purchased from food trucks on site. Alcohol is prohibited in the park.
Concert by the Creek
- Where: Washington Township Park Amphitheater, 435 Whipple Lane, Avon
- When: Fridays June 7, July 12 and Aug. 2 from 7-9 p.m.
- Details: This series lineup includes My Yellow Rickshaw, Living Proof and The Doo! All of these bands cover popular songs from various decades and genres. Bring lawn chairs and blankets in case you need a rest from dancing. Food from Dizzy Izzy's and adult beverages from Indy Beer Taps is available for purchase. Admission is free.
Evenings in Ellis
- Where: Amphitheater in the north portion of Ellis Park, 600 E. Main St., Danville
- When: First and second Fridays in June, July and August
- Details: This free series consists of three movies and three tribute band concerts. Movies include Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom (June 7), Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (July 5) and Bumblebee (Aug. 2). The featured tribute bands include Heartache Tonight (June 14), Flip Flop Dave (July 12) and the Heartbreakers (Aug. 9). Feel free to bring coolers and picnic baskets. Every event is family friendly except Flip Flop Dave (Jimmy Buffet tribute), which is for those 21+ and takes place at the Gill Family Aquatic Center. The first two concerts begin at 7 p.m. and the third one at 6 p.m. The movies start at dusk.
Movies in Town Square
- Where: The lawn area at The Shops at Perry Crossing, 2499 Perry Crossing Way, Plainfield
- When: Every Thursday evening in June
- Details: This free, outdoor family film series features How to Train Your Dragon (June 13), Smallfoot (June 20), and Peter Rabbit (June 27). Movies are shown on an inflatable screen that is sure to be fun for both kids and parents! Pre-movie activities, including music, games and giveaways, start at 7 p.m. Movies begin at dark. Bring chairs and blankets, sit back and enjoy the show!
Movies on the Hill
- Where: Avon Town Hall Park, 6570 E. U.S. Highway 36, Avon
- When: Fridays Aug. 9 and Sept. 6 starting at dusk
- Details: View How to Train Your Dragon: Hidden World and Ralph Breaks the Internet at these free outdoor movie nights! Popcorn and beverages are provided at no cost. T-shirts and gifts will be given away and a special guest makes an appearance at each movie! The movies are screened from the east parking lot facing the shelter hill. Set up your blankets and chairs and enjoy!