- Be Prepared: With the length of this sale, be sure to have your tank filled for your long day of driving ahead, and most important have plenty of cash on you. Some locations may take your debit or credit card but it is best to be prepared with cash. Keep your body fueled. Prepare for your day of shopping with some snacks. Be sure to include some drinks to keep you hydrated. One of the joys of the road is some little treats right?
- Look Beyond the Big Items: Many people are drawn to the big-ticket items where great deals can be found. However, often times the true treasures are found in the small items that might be on a back table or found under another item. Don't be afraid to ask about an item and its history.
- Barter: Just like the folks on all the big thrifting and antiquing shows don't be afraid to barter with the seller for the price you seek.
- Enjoy the scenery: The National Road is more than 200 years old with a great history. As you travel down this great road, be sure to sit back and take in all the scenery. Once out of Plainfield and heading west, you will see some truly beautiful land. Take time to breathe in some fresh air and take in the history of the road. Some of the towns and homes bordering the Old National Road have some great history.
- Best Hendricks County Pit Stops: As I mentioned before, there will be several treasures to be found in Hendricks County. Along with all the personal homes that will have sales be sure to stop at: Shelley's Closet of Treasures, Gilley's Antique Mall, Belleville Farm Market, Nomad Yarns, Cooper's OK Hardware & Country Store of Stilesville along with many other great shops and restaurants.
- Need a place to stay: If you plan to extend your adventure beyond one day, Hendricks County has some of the best and most affordable hotels, and they are just minutes from U.S. 40. I suggest looking at the options in Plainfield by clicking here.
Insider Tips for a Succesful National Road Yard Sale
Wednesday, May 22, 2013 11:00 PM by Ericka Bethel