- Take your tea like a lady: The return of Downton Abbey makes me want to sip my afternoon tea from a dainty cup with my pinkie raised. You can do the same at Tina’s Traditional Old English Kitchen at Court House Grounds in Danville. Stop by any Thursday, Friday, or Saturday from 2-4 p.m. for this classy treat.
- Learn something new: Many shops in Hendricks County offer classes on a variety of topics throughout the year. What better time to pick up a new skill than when it’s too cold to go outside? Nomad Yarns, Frazee Gardens, Paint and Sip at Gallery on the Square, and Sally Ann's Ceramics regularly offer classes and open studio hours.
- Visit an artisan: On the second Saturday of each month, a selection of Hendricks County’s local artisans open their doors for the Rural Routes to Main Street Cultural Trail. While this self-directed driving tour is available at other times, as well, Second Saturdays present unique, often behind-the-scenes opportunities.
- Gather for an informal book club: I love to catch up on my reading during the winter months. Pick a new novel — or an old classic — to read together, then convene over a hot cup of coffee or cocoa. Savor Thyme Café, Court House Grounds, Bread Basket Cafe & Bakery, and the Beehive are great meeting places.
- Discover a new vintage: Chateau Thomas is Hendricks County’s own winery, and it’s a great place to gather with your girlfriends for some wine-tasting.
- Be a kid: Do the things you never get to do when you have to be the responsible adult: Check out Sky Zone Indoor Trampoline Park, go roller skating at Hot Skates, play a round of indoor golf at Monster Mini Golf or go swimming at Plainfield’s Splash Island.
- Engage in retail therapy: You've had a few weeks to recover from the holidays, so get back out there and support our local economy. I’ve seen many great post-Christmas deals this year! Check out our shopping guide for stores and insider tips.
- Become more cultured: The Hendricks Civic Theatre and the Hendricks Symphonic Society each have shows coming up this winter, and both will entertain you without straining your budget.
- Be pampered: Treat yourself to some pampering with a manicure, facial, or massage. This list will get you started on your search for the perfect place.
- Enjoy dinner and a movie: Take a twist on this classic date-night activity and see the latest guilty-pleasure movie with the girls. Hendricks County’s movie theaters each have local restaurants nearby. Check showtimes at the Royal Theater in Danville, the Goodrich 8 in Brownsburg, the Regal Shiloh Stadium in Avon, or Carmike Metropolis in Plainfield, and use our dining guide for dinner inspiration.
Top 10: Warm & Toasty Winter Girlfriend Getaways
Monday, January 6, 2014 10:03 PM by Amanda Miller
Congrats, you survived another holiday season! Now, take some time to celebrate your victory, grab a girlfriend — or a few — and try one of these fun, indoor activities that will keep you warm and toasty this winter.