- Meet a friend for a cuppa. Whether your hot beverage of choice is coffee, tea, or cider, Hendricks County has several great options. Aimee recently found five fall-inspired drinks around the county — her list should get you started!
- Embrace an international tradition with afternoon tea. Me? My go-to hot beverage is always a good cup of tea. Courthouse Grounds on the Courthouse Square in Danville recently began hosting an English tea with Tina’s Traditional Old English Kitchen. Stop by any Thursday, Friday, or Saturday at 2 p.m. for a classy treat.
- Get in touch with nature at one of Hendricks County’s great parks. Bundle up and get some fresh air with a walk along the miles of trails that span the county. Our parks are open year-round, so take advantage of those cool, clear, beautiful days to escape the house for a bit. Find the park nearest you.
- Make new friends — of the feathered variety. Speaking of those great outdoors, two of Hendricks County’s nature parks have events coming up that focus on our feathered friends. On Nov. 30 at McCloud Nature Park in North Salem, you can make and take your own winter bird feeder. And on Dec. 7 at Sodalis Nature Park in Plainfield, you can hike with a naturalist and learn to identify many common species found here. Learn more about both events on the Hendricks County Parks’ website.
- Enjoy live music. In addition to many local joints that host live bands throughout the season, the Hendricks Symphony Orchestra and Symphonic Choir will perform Handel’s “Messiah” on Dec. 13 and 15. See the complete schedule and learn about tickets on their website.
- Chow down. Yes, we’ll all be eating more during the holidays. But sometimes you just need some good comfort food, right? This list of the top 10 places to get comfort food will help you satisfy your appetite.
- Catch a game. Fall is football season, and we have lots of great locally owned places to catch a game and have a brew. Eric recommended some — check them out!
- Multitask while relaxing: paint and have some wine. If wine is more your style, try Paint and Sip at the Gallery on the Square in Danville. In the next class on Dec. 12, an instructor will guide you through the process of painting your own work of art while you sip a glass of wine. Gather your girlfriends and get signed up!
- Be pampered. Take your relaxing to a deeper level with a great massage or manicure. You’ll be able to feel the stress melt from your muscles immediately. This list of places will get you started in your search for the perfect pampering.
- See a movie. Escape from reality with an entertaining movie. Catch a flick at the Royal Theater in Danville, the Goodrich 8 in Brownsburg, the Regal Shiloh Stadium in Avon or at Carmike Metropolis in Plainfield. You can also take the family to a free film at Washington Township Park in Avon.
Top 10: Ways to Relax Before the Holidays
Sunday, November 24, 2013 10:34 PM by Amanda Miller
When I say “the holiday season,” a word that doesn’t often come to mind is “relaxation.” This year, as the holidays draw closer, make it your goal to take time out from the hustle and bustle and enjoy some quality R&R. Need some ideas?