My favorite event in Hendricks County is almost here! At the beginning of September, the biggest and best event in all of drag racing will once again return to Brownsburg's Lucas Oil Raceway.
If you've never been, you absolutely have to experience the excitement and power on display at this historic race, the Chevrolet Performance U.S. Nationals.
What can you expect at the U.S. Nationals?
The three big things you can expect at the U.S. Nationals are speed, noise and thrills. More specifically, here are some of the highlights of the long weekend of racing:
- Jet Car Exhibitions: These insanely fast cars will be showing their stuff at the close of racing on Friday and Saturday evening. Plan on sticking around late to see them in action.
- Traxxas® Nitro Shootout: Qualifying Funny Car and Top Fuel drivers will compete for big bucks on Saturday and Sunday. See the best of the best race for a lucrative prize!
- U.S. Nationals Finals: Monday is the big day! Finalists compete to be the U.S. Nationals Champion. This race is a key race before the Mello Yello Countdown to the Championship playoff, so a win at Lucas Oil Raceway could change someone's destiny. The high stakes make it even more exciting.
- Pit area access: NHRA racing is great because a ticket is also a pit pass meaning you have VIP access to the crew at work on the cars. You may even snag an autograph from your favorite driver!
- Friday Night Fireworks: Self-explanatory, right?
What should you bring to the U.S. Nationals?
- Ear protection for ALL AGES. The Top Fuel and Funny Car engines are extremely loud, and you will want to make sure you have hearing protection. Trust me on this one.
- Sunscreen is a must! Labor Day weekend in Central Indiana is generally hot and sunny. You may also want to bring a hat.
- A seat cushion will help you be more comfortable on the bleacher-style seating.
- You'll want to stay hydrated, and you can bring coolers into Lucas Oil Raceway. Coolers must be no bigger than 14-inches, and no glass containers or alcohol are allowed.