We all know kids come with a steep price tag. Fortunately, those price tags are lower at our local Here We Grow Again Consignment Sale at the Hendricks County 4-H Fairgrounds & Conference Complex, 1900 E. Main St., Danville.
I have personally shopped at this sale six times and found fantastic deals every time. The next sale will run March 14-17.
Presale Pass Giveaway
Visit Hendricks County is giving away FOUR presale passes to our readers! To be entered into our drawing, just leave a comment below by noon, next Wednesday, March 7, about why you want to attend, and we will randomly select four lucky winners to shop the presale.
How the Sale Works
Parents from all over Indy tag and drop off their gently used kids clothes, toys, baby gear, books and more to sell. Then shoppers get to find the best deals among the more than 100,000 items.
Yes, 100 thousand!
It is the biggest sale in the Indianapolis area. That means, anything you could possibly need for your little one is there, at a fraction of the cost. As you can imagine, it is a very popular event so here are some tips to maximize your time and effort:
- Make a needs list before you go: Trust me, there will be plenty of wants when you get there. I have a closet full of dresses for my girls from these sales. But don't forget what you need also.
- Have a plan: If your top priority is a stroller, furniture or big toys, head to the room to the left first. Yes, this sale is so big it has two rooms. It is very organized though. Even after huge crowds come through, volunteers are organizing the space nicely. Be patient and make sure to allow yourself plenty of time. This won't be a quick in and out as the lines just to check out can get long.
- Know the brands you love: By becoming familiar with the prices of your favorite brands, you'll be able to know whether you are getting a good deal on an item.
- Plan for the future: Buy clothes for your kids' next size. Kids grow fast! For mine, I grab clothes at the sale and save for their next growth spurt; then I don't have to go to the store and pay full price. If they don't happen to grow into the size this season, you have them for next year.
- Remain focused: The first couple of sale days you will not want to bring kids or strollers. Baby wearing is allowed, and there is a breastfeeding room if needed. But seriously, focus is needed those first couple of days.
- Managing larger items: Bring a large bag or even a laundry basket to use for desired items. If your hands get full, you can set your laundry basket on the floor while you sift through clothes or there is a hold table in the corner of the Expo Hall, just look for the sign or ask a volunteer.
- Give yourself plenty of time: This sale is huge, so don't plan to shop on a lunch break. You'll want to give yourself plenty of time.
- Shop early for the best bargains: If you can get your hands on a presale pass for Tuesday, you will get to look through the inventory before the general public. How do you get a presale pass? It isn't easy. Presale passes are given to teachers, military families, volunteers and consignors. If you can't land a presale pass, I would still recommend going on the first day it opens to the public if possible. In addition, Macaroni Kid Hendricks is giving away 60 new mom passes this Thursday on the HWGA Facebook page. New moms are moms that are pregnant, infant under 12 months or adopting in the next 12 months.
- Go back for discounts: There is a benefit to shopping on the last two days of the sale as Friday is 25% off day and Saturday most items are 50% off. Look for the star on the tag to signify it qualifies. From experience, most items do.
- Make it a fun girls day/night out: I had friends at the last sale come from outside the county to shop and then go to dinner. Even if you live in the county, you could do this. You saved your family some money, you deserve to treat yourself.
Find more details on the Here We Grow Again Sale including sale times, restocking days and how to get a presale pass on their website.